Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm going to be taking it all off

Before anyone gets greatly concerned, I'm not planning to do anything obscene. On Saturday, March 13, I will be getting an ultimate haircut just like the one I had a year earlier.
Seriously, I am a shavee in the St. Baldrick's fund raising event set for Campbellsville University.
How do you raise money by having your head shaved? That's a question someone asked me just a couple of days ago.
You raise money by securing donors.
Let me be the first to admit that I am a terrible fundraiser. I just don't like asking people for money. That may have something to do with the fact that I was a practicing journalist for many years.
So far my fund raising total isn't exactly breaking any records. As of Thursday, March 4, my donations totaled $10. Please, won' t someone donate to the cause?
The cause, in case you didn't know, is a good one. The money goes toward research to find a cure for childhood cancer. Any cancer cure will be a blessing. I am also hopeful that if we can cure one form, cures for others will soon follow.
My mother died a little more than three years ago from cancer. The hurt of her death is still with me each and every day.
Last year I had my head shaved for the first time to raise money for cancer. I did that in my mother's honor. I am doing it again this year in her honor and memory. I plan to keep doing it, as long as I have hair that can be cut, until I die or a cure for cancer is found.
I remember taking my mother to the Brown Cancer Center in Louisville for radiation treatments. There were so many people of all ages there being treated for cancer. I often wonder what happened to all of those people. Did they win their battles or did they lose their fights with cancer?
As we all know, cancer treatments can cause patients to lose their hair. The idea behind St. Baldrick's is to shave our heads with pride and in honor of those who lose their hair because of cancer treatments.
Some of my students last year were a bit shocked to see me without hair. This year I have encouraged a couple of them to also have their heads shaved.
I just wish we could raise more money.
Please give if you possibly can. Donations may be made on line at stbaldrick's.org or may be given to any participant. Donations may also be made at the event which will be most of the day in the gym on campus.
Let's all take it off and help make cancer a thing of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment