Sunday, February 28, 2010

Going to the extreme

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new computer. It is a wonderful device, 27-inch screen, Magic Mouse, wireless keyboard and the works.
The screen is larger than most of the televisions I have owned over the years. It is actually so large that viewing text, photos and the like on such a large monitor has taken some getting used to, but I have managed.
In short, I love the new computer and really love the Magic Mouse. The tiny Apple keyboard, though, is a bit awkward to use.
Technology somehow seems to always find a way to bite me.
I use QuarkXPress quite a bit to lay out newspaper and other pages. I was able to get a copy of the newest version of the software and it loaded quickly. Problem is, it would not work. Turns out there is a compatibility problem. I had to download an update to cure that problem.
That download took an hour and a half.
Time to look at my DSL connection.
It turns out faster DSL and unlimited long distance was available for less than I was already paying per month. So I signed on the dotted line.
My wireless router, however, was not up to the job. It was several years old and, like me, has seen some better days.
I looked at many routers and decided on Airport Extreme from Apple.
Fed Ex had it to my house in just a couple of days.
Within a few minutes I had it out of the box and a password-protected network up and running. I am not a computer geek and consider that somewhat of a minor miracle.
Let me knock on wood. Everything seems to be working OK.
I just haven't had the courage yet to try my printer on the new computer. I have read that it should be compatible though a download may be needed.
I think I will tackle that another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment